Note: This page contains information for groups wishing to rent space at Sierra Friends Center; if you are looking to plan an individual or family retreat, click here.
Let Woolman host your event! We are located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in northern California, a 90-minute drive from Sacramento and a 15-minute drive from the historic towns of Grass Valley and Nevada City. Our campus offers 230 acres of meadows, woods, streams and ponds for our guests to enjoy. Check out our campus map and our trail map! Groups of 5-85 persons can easily be accommodated overnight in a variety of spaces on our grounds, and an additional 50 people can camp on central campus.
Woolman hosts weddings, retreats, workshops, conferences, and meetings for many different groups. Whether you are a non-profit organization or community group, a yoga studio or meditation center, a church or Quaker meeting, we would be happy to host you!
Various programming takes place on the Woolman campus throughout the year, including a summer camp.
To start planning your event, please fill in an inquiry form or contact our Operations Manager at 530-273-3183 ext. 13 or at rentals(at)woolman.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Our Facilities Include:
Designed by architect Ken Kern and built in the late '60s, the Stone House is ideal for small retreats and meetings or as part of larger gatherings. A round building with stone walls, seven bedrooms with semi-private bathrooms, a large central room with a hearth in the middle, a carpeted living room, and a small kitchen, the Stone House has an overnight capacity of 17 and a meeting capacity of 25.
Located on central campus next to the Dining Hall and a two-minute walk from the Stone House and A-frame Cabins, the Meetinghouse offers a simple and flexible multi-use space with convenient ground-level entrance access. This configurable meeting space can seat 150 people auditorium-style (with the rental of additional folding chairs) and is well-suited to performances and lectures, as well as memorial services and celebrations.
|Cabins & Camping
Our simple, wood-heated cabins are on the edge of central campus, footsteps away from trails that wind through our 230 acres of woods and meadows. Similar to cabins you might find in Yosemite or California State Parks, our cabins are rustic and cozy.
|Dining Hall & Kitchen
Our Dining Hall can seat up to 75 people at family-style round wooden tables, and during the spring, summer, and fall, an additional 75 people can sit at picnic and folding tables on the deck and nearby lawn. The connected kitchen can either be rented by groups who want to provide their own meals, or we can provide meals for your group. Our meals are generally vegetarian and always have vegan and gluten-free options, and much of our produce comes from our very own farm. We strive to serve organic foods and source from local and sustainable farms whenever possible.
Note: This page contains pricing information for groups wishing to rent space at Sierra Friends Center; if you are looking for individual and family rates, click here.
The cost of your group's stay at Sierra Friends Center depends on the number of people in your group, the length of your group's stay, and whether you reserve our Dining Hall and/or Meetinghouse. We charge nightly rates for all of our sleeping accommodations and overnight, day use and half-day use rates for the Dining Hall and Meetinghouse. For fee calculation purposes, "overnight" refers to the twenty-four hour period starting at the standard arrival time of 5 p.m. On the last day of your group's stay, this period ends at the standard departure time of 2 p.m., unless other arrangements have been made. Each facility rental comes with an additional nonrefundable cleaning fee.
- Stone House: $450.00/night (sleeps up to 18 people), $135 nonrefundable cleaning fee
- A-frame Cabins: $55.00/night - Includes Bathhouse(12 cabins total; each cabin sleeps up to 2 people), $20 nonrefundable cleaning fee per A-frame
- West Side Cabins: $85.00/night - Includes Bathhouse (8 cabins total; each cabin sleeps up to 6 people), $30 nonrefundable cleaning fee per cabin
- Camping: $25.00/car/night- Includes Bathhouse
Bedding and Towels:
We rent bedding at $15.00/set (includes pillow and case, fitted sheet, top sheet, and comforter). We rent towels at $5.00/set (includes body towel and washcloth). Please make sure to specify if you would like bedding or towels provided for your group.
Daily use rates:
- Meetinghouse: $200/overnight use, $130/day use (5.5-12 hours, no overnight), $85/half day use (1-5 hours, no overnight), $35 nonrefundable cleaning fee
- Dining Hall: $300.00/overnight use, $195/day use (5.5-12 hours, no overnight), $130/half day use (1-5 hours, no overnight), $70 nonrefundable cleaning fee
- Kitchen Only: $200.00/overnight use, $130/day use (5.5-12 hours, no overnight), $85/half day use (1-5 hours, no overnight), $50 nonrefundable cleaning fee
- Ground Use: Central campus and trails (no buildings): $75/day
Note: We cater to nonprofit organizations and religious and educational institutions, and as such we try to keep our rates as low and affordable as possible. Therefore, we don't offer further discounts to these groups.
Deposits and Payment
Your reservation will be confirmed when we receive your signed contract and the first rental deposit (25% of the contracted amount plus cleaning fee). The second rental deposit (75% of the contracted amount) is due at least 48 hours prior to arrival.
In the event that your group must cancel the reservation, cancellation fees will apply as follows:
- Half of the first deposit is refundable up to 30 days after the first deposit due date listed on this contract; thereafter it is not refundable.
- The second deposit is non-refundable. The two deposits are credited toward the total balance.
- If cancellation occurs within 30 days of the start date of the reservation, the group is obligated to pay the total amount listed on the contract, less deposits previously paid. Some modification of the refund policy may be made if the canceled dates are rented to another group.